Red Wine Mushroom Gravy
This hearty Red Wine Mushroom gravy is full of flavour and is great for holiday meals and Sunday dinners.
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 2 cups
- 1-2 TBSP refined coconut oil (see notes for substitution suggestions)
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms or mushroom stems, minced
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Braggs Soy Seasoning or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 tbsp vegan Worchestershire sauce I use Wizard brand, available at most organic grocers
- 1 & 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
Melt the refined coconut oil in a frying pan over medium heat, then add onions and mushrooms, sauteing until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms release their liquid.
Add Worchestershire, Braggs, and red wine, and continue to cook until liquid is absorbed, about 5-10 minutes.
Add the flour and stir, making sure to coat the onions and mushrooms, and cook for a minute or two to brown the flour. Then, add liquid, a couple of tablespoons at a time, stirring well to prevent lumps. When the gravy bubbles and becomes thick, it is finished. Transfer to a liquid measuring cup or gravy boat and serve.
Do NOT use virgin coconut oil as it will mess with the flavour; use refined coconut oil or another unflavoured oil, such as sunflower or avocado.